It is not unusual to feel sad or discouraged at times. Sadness is a common reaction to disappointment. Clinical depression, however, is a more severe reaction to life’s struggles and has a more significant impact on your ability to work, have healthy relationships or the function socially. When you are feeling down because of a breakup, the loss of a job, or some other negative event in your life, you can recognize the cause of your sadness and imagine yourself eventually moving beyond it. With clinical depression, many people cannot see themselves recovering from their paralyzing sadness, but depression therapy may help.
If you are having feelings of emptiness, sadness or impending doom that are causing you to struggle with the ordinary demands of life, you may be experiencing clinical depression. People with depression also often some of the following symptoms:
- Fatigue or loss of energy most of the time
- Frequent feelings of worthlessness
- A depressed mood throughout the day
- Impaired concentration and indecisiveness
- Markedly diminished interest or pleasure in almost all activities nearly every day
- A sleep disorder
- Recurring thoughts of death or suicide
- Significant weight loss or weight gain
I have years of experience of working with people suffering from depression. If you want to speak to a depression therapist or if you have a question about our depression therapy services please contact me. We have been working with those dealing with depression in the East Lansing area for over 10 years.